Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Realizing?

"Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ. . ." Ephesians 4:13

I have been reading Oswald Chambers' daily devotional since I was 13 years old, and every single day it edifies, exhorts, pierces. There always seems to be a sentence, or maybe two or three, but always one, that shouts at me from the page. Today it was this: "It will be a big humiliation to realize that I have not been concerned about realizing Jesus Christ, but only about realizing what He has done for me."

Today I had to go to USM for a meeting with Kim about inservice and, while there, I went by the Registrar's Office to pick up a transcript so I could figure out what to do about finishing that Master's degree. As soon as I got out of the car and started walking up the sidewalk toward the Kennard Washington building, the panic hit me--shortness of breath, heart palpitations, cold sweat. I go to the university several times a year to work, but walking toward that office I was a student, and I was never a good one. I hated every minute of it. When I was 18 and trying to figure out a major--first biology, then business administration, then out for a semester to think, then finally education--I remember being overwhelmed by it all. I was in the Honors College, taking all honors courses and in way over my head, in class all the time and chemistry lab and biology lab and Spanish lab and I just was taking way too many hours and I could never concentrate on studying because the dorm was so loud and the library still to this very day makes my blood pressure rise. It just all came back to me today, and I really don't know how I'll ever finish the Master's degree, but I'll think of something.

I'd no sooner walked in the door than Art Peterson called to tell me he's working on a piece about my students and me to put in The Voice, a National Writing Project publication. After a couple of phone conversations, we chose Emily's "House on Fire" to feature in the article. She'll be thrilled. It was a good strong piece, and she worked very hard to integrate the feedback from the blog comments.

I still didn't make the pineapple upside down cake, or even supper for that matter. After my meeting with Kim, the conversations with Art, and time I spent reading the stack of articles Kim gave me to look over, I couldn't face the stove. We went to Pizza Hut.