Thursday, July 07, 2005

Death in the Pot

"And it came to pass, as they were eating of the pottage, that they cried out, and said, O thou man of God, there is death in the pot. And they could not eat thereof." II Kings 4:40

I've been eating far too much sugar lately, and there's really no point in it because it's summertime and there's so much life to eat it's ridiculous to choose death. But I'm in a rut, and I have a cake in the oven now. The Odoms gave us two big bags of the finest blueberries I've ever eaten, and I've been having them in my yogurt in the mornings along with some really good blackberries I bought at Wal-Mart. A few minutes ago, I decided the berries would be really good in shortcake, so I stirred up a butter cake and we'll have it with the berries, topped with cool-whip, after supper. Oh, well.

I can't seem to eat sugar in moderation; it's all or nothing. If I go on a sugar fast I feel great, full of energy and thin, and I really don't even miss it after the first 2 or 3 days. I was doing fine until I went to Denver, and they fed us so well all day long, with delicious desserts and snacks. I said no for a day or two and stuck with yogurt, granola, and berries (they did have some healthy selections) but by day 3 I gave in and had cheesecake, six-layer chocolate cake, and cream-filled crepes with chocolate sauce. So now I'm hooked again and feeling sluggish and still, the cake is in the oven.

Today I finally bit the bullet and went to the Mensa site and did their "workout". It's not the actual IQ test--I'm still hesitant about taking that--but it's their practice version. At the end, after I hit submit, the message said I had "a very good score" and a "good chance of passing the Mensa test". Still, I wish it had said I have an excellent chance or that I'm a shoe-in. But no. Just a good chance.