Friday, September 15, 2006

I have eaten bagged spinach every single day this week. I always put spinach on salads and, as part of my health kick, I've been adding chopped cabbage and grape tomatoes as well. Now I read on yahoo that there is an outbreak of e. coli in 20 states and it has been traced to bagged spinach. Okay.

I am trying to pretend we are not doing this kitchen remodel. I have to distance myself from it mentally in order to endure the mess. I hate mess.

Jessica is having a terrible year. I am deeply burdened by it. She's already been in in-school suspension a couple of times. The teachers on the other hall do not even try to get to know her. It reminds me of Joe. I taught him for two years, and most of the time I spent defending him from the other adults in the school. Both of these children went through things when they were toddlers that no human should ever experience. Then they came to our school, a place full of Christians, and couldn't even get a cup of cold water. I just don't believe things like that go unanswered.

Lizzie lost her first tooth today. It's been loose for six weeks, at least. I thought it would never come out. I sent her down to the kindergarten so Janice could pull it. I don't pull teeth. I've never pulled one of my children's teeth. It's always sad to me when they start to lose their baby teeth. They have such a different look about them when those bigger teeth start to come in.

What in the world is reformed theology? I've been reading some things about it tonight, but I can't seem to wrap my brain around it.

I've seen a few lovebugs, but not anywhere near as many as post-Katrina. Last year, they were a pestilence of Biblical proportions. This year, I've seen fewer than ten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lovebugs are on the way. We were sitting on the field yesterday during recess, and you couldn't go three steps without one landing on you. A few of my students decided to appoint themselves my own personal chimps, combing through my mane to remove those that were tangled in its mass.

Anonymous said...

Q: What in the world is reformed theology?

A: Well, they say that a few years at Reformed Theological Seminary would learn you. But that is a bit much to take on in this comment, so basically it is Zwingli and Calvin ... mainly Calvin. e.g. If you search for "Reformed Theology" on wikipedia, it just redirects you to the page for Calvinism.

I went to an Evangelical Free Church, whose pastor graduated from RTS. He was the best Pastor I've ever had. Only a very small part of that is a reflection on Reformed Theology, which he recommended. The larger part is a reflection of his Lord, and his commitment to teach the college group bible study in a church member's home each week. Certainly that commitment came from our Lord. Because it caused me to repent. I have never met a pastor since who had committed himself to teach either high school or college bible studies each week. It has changed more lives than we know.