Monday, January 02, 2006

Where are my first roommates?

Today was a beautiful day, temperature in the upper 70's, lots of sunshine. I actually sunbathed for a while. January 2. While I was out there taking in some sun, this question popped into my head out of nowhere: Where are my first roommates, those babies who shared the nursery with me at Lackey Memorial Hospital on February 9, 1965? Surely I was not the only one born on that day at that hospital. I wonder how I could find out who they are. Track them down. Maybe plan a reunion. I did have a classmate in school whose birthday was also February 9. I didn’t like having to share my birthday with Mardis Taylor. And we were in the same class every year because the principal always divided the students alphabetically. The T’s and V’s were together, of course. That meant the class had to sing happy birthday twice, and by the second rendition, it sort of came out flat and not everyone was even singing toward the end. It never occurred to me then that Mardis and I might have once been roommates, and yet I realize now that we probably were. There was only one hospital in the area, so I’m sure his mother went there for his birth. I remember Mardis was chubbier than the other boys. He wore the same Wranglers, but in the "husky" size. He always came in red-faced from the playground. He usually sat right in front of me–we were seated alphabetically–and George Watkins sat behind me. I haven’t seen Mardis since graduation; he didn’t show up at the only class reunion I’ve been to. So that makes me wonder if he would come to a nursery reunion. I mean, he spent twelve years with the 1983 graduates of Lake High School and didn’t care enough to come and see us, so he probably wouldn’t be interested in being reunited with people he only spent two or three days with. Last I heard, he has a used car lot between Lake and Forest. I wonder if he’d remember me if I drove up there some time. I could go there and say, "Mardis, since you’re still here in the area and you probably have connections, running this used car lot and all, why don’t you spearhead a nursery reunion effort? We could have it right in there in your office; there probably aren’t more than a handful of us. Who knows? You might even manage a sale or two." I don’t know. Maybe I’ll do it.
It’s back to work tomorrow. I wrote all my students letters last week, asking them to bring in a handmade paper snowflake, an interesting rock, and three facts about penguins. I’m ready to get back at it, but I sure will miss being at home.

No comments: